A body lift is designed to remove excess skin and tissue from targeted areas to help improve the overall contour of your body. At Zinsser Plastic Surgery, we understand that restoration following weight loss is a very important step in achieving the body and the self-confidence you desire.
To learn how board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. John Zinsser can put the finishing touches on your weight loss, contact us today online or at 804-474-9805 to schedule your initial consultation. We welcome patients from throughout Virginia, including Richmond, Fredericksburg and Williamsburg.
On this page, we discuss:
- Upper Body Lift
- Lower Body Lift – Belt Lipectomy
- Benefits of a Body Lift
- Good Candidates for a Post Bariatric Body Lift
- What Is Post Bariatric Body Contouring?
- Your Customized Skin Removal Surgery After Weight Loss
- Recovery from Body Lift Surgery
- Why Choose Zinsser Plastic Surgery?
- Schedule Your Post Bariatric Body Lift Consultation Today
An upper body lift can effectively remove excess skin from a number of problem areas, and is particularly beneficial to patients who have undergone substantial weight loss, either from bariatric surgery or other method. Some of the procedures that may be included with your customized post bariatric body contouring include:
- Breast surgery: Many patients elect to undergo some form of breast surgery as part of their post weight loss body contouring. Whether you want to reduce the size of your breasts, eliminate sagging skin and elevate your breasts to a perkier, more youthful position or correct misalignment, Dr. Zinsser may recommend breast reduction or a breast lift (with or without breast augmentation).
- Arm lift: An arm lift, also known as brachioplasty, is performed to remove excess sagging skin beneath the arm. Liposuction is sometimes performed in conjunction with an arm lift to create more toned contours. This highly-customized procedure is an effective method for eliminating the appearance of “bat wings”, a common side effect of extreme weight loss.
- Upper and mid back lift: This procedure removes excess skin and “fat rolls” from the middle and upper back.
Some patients also elect to undergo facial plastic surgery to complete their cosmetic goals. This can reduce the appearance of jowls or a double chin. When combined with body contouring options, facial surgery can produce a look that is trim, fit, and healthy.
A lower body lift, also called a belt lipectomy, surgically lifts and tightens the abdomen and lower body. Procedures in a lower body lift may include:
- Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty): One of the most common side effects of massive weight loss is the presence of loose, sagging skin and stretched and weakened abdominal muscles. Tummy tucks are commonly performed as part of post weight loss body contouring to tighten underlying abdominal muscles. Abdominoplasty can also remove excess skin in the midsection, along with excess fat deposits.
- Liposuction: Despite your weight loss goals, you may still experience stubborn pockets of fat in certain areas. Liposuction is performed in many post weight-loss procedures to remove unwanted fat and contour outlying areas like the abdomen or thighs, improving not just these specific areas, but your overall figure.
- Thigh lift: Thigh lifts are designed to improve the appearance of sagging inner thighs. Excess fat and skin is removed, creating a dramatic reduction of drooping, wrinkled skin along the inner area of the thighs. This comprehensive tightening extends to the front and back of the thigh. This procedure dramatically improves skin laxity and helps the thighs look more firm and fit.
- Butt lift: It is not uncommon for patients to feel self-conscious about a sagging, unattractive derriere after bariatric weight loss surgery. Buttock augmentation can lift and reshape your buttocks to provide tighter, smoother contours.
- Lower back lift: This procedure addresses the appearance of excess skin and fat from the lower back.
Your body lift at Zinsser Plastic Surgery will be customized to meet your individual needs. If you suffer from hanging excess skin, Dr. Zinsser can help you to:
- Have a slimmer and younger overall appearance
- Lose the weight of your extra skin, fat and tissues
- Improve your personal hygiene
- Reduce the risk of skin irritation and infection
- Make movement and exercise easier
- Wear smaller, form-fitting clothes
In addition to the aforementioned benefits, by undergoing multiple plastic surgery procedures in a single session, you will be able to reduce your recovery time and optimize your results.
If you have recently lost a significant amount of weight and are struggling with sagging, loose excess skin, you may be a good candidate for a post-bariatric body lift. During your initial consultation with Dr. Zinsser, he will assess your physical condition, review your medical history and determine if a body lift is right for you.
A post bariatric body lift may be right for you if you:
- Are at a healthy, stable weight: Weight fluctuations can have an adverse effect on the outcome of your surgery.
- Had bariatric surgery at least 18 months ago: Completing your recovery and keeping the weight off are important elements to achieving optimal results.
- Have realistic expectations about your results: Body lifts can improve your appearance and self-image, but you should not have unrealistic expectations for it solving all of your aesthetic issues.
- Are able to follow all of Dr. Zinsser’s post-operative instructions: Dr. Zinsser will supply you with detailed pre and post-operative instructions. It is paramount that you closely adhere to his instructions in order to facilitate an optimal recovery.
If you have recently undergone bariatric surgery or are experiencing medical complications, Dr. Zinsser may need to discuss your body lift procedure with your general physician and other pertinent healthcare providers to ensure your body lift can be performed effectively and safely.
Massive weight loss, whether medically assisted or through significant lifestyle changes, is often a challenging experience. Even though you’ve lost the weight, you may be frustrated with your resulting appearance – sagging skin, stubborn fat deposits and uneven or undefined curves.
Post-bariatric body contouring surgery is performed to remove and tighten excess skin after extreme weight loss. With more than 20 years of highly-regarded experience, Dr. Zinsser is a skilled and knowledgeable plastic surgeon who understands the unique needs of each post-weight loss body lift patient.
Some of the most popular reasons that patients undergo surgery after weight loss are:
- Loose skin of the entire body
- Sagging skin of the face and neck
- Clothing not fitting right due to excess skin
- The desire to have a more attractively sculpted and contoured figure
The first step toward achieving your post weight loss surgery goals is to meet personally with Dr. Zinsser in a one-on-one, confidential consultation. During this important meeting, Dr. Zinsser will discuss your concerns, answer your questions and explain all of your treatment options.
Your personal consultation with Dr. Zinsser will be an in-depth conversation centered on your unique expectations for the procedure and the specific areas you want to improve. This allows Dr. Zinsser to design a customized procedure that effectively addresses your concerns. Just as with any surgical procedure, surgery after weight loss requires incisions. As an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Zinsser knows how to discreetly place your incisions to ensure minimal scarring and the best results possible.
Every body lift patient is unique. Some may have only one or two isolated “problem areas”, while others may experience larger issues such as skin laxity and excess skin. No matter your concern, Dr. Zinsser will create a plan specific to your needs. There are a variety of procedures available to address every concern, and many of these options can be combined to provide a comprehensive, full-body improvement.
Generally speaking, body contouring techniques require incisions to access the underlying tissues, which can be tightened or lifted as needed. Then, excess skin can be surgically removed while the remaining skin is sutured in a more tightened, contoured position. Plastic surgery after weight loss is usually performed under general anesthesia, and depending on the number and complexity of your procedures, you may be able to go home the same day. Dr. Zinsser will carefully explain what you can expect leading up to your procedure and your recovery after surgery.
Given the many types of procedures of varying complexity, your recovery will be unique. As with any body contouring procedure, you should plan on at least one week of rest afterward. You should have a friend or loved one to help take care of you since you will have limited movement during this time.
The discomfort after surgery can be controlled with medications prescribed to you. During your consultation, Dr. Zinsser will provide you with detailed before-and-after surgery instructions, and will be available to answer any questions you may have along the way.
Dr. Zinsser is a board-certified plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). This distinction signifies Dr. Zinsser’s commitment to excellence and safety in the field of plastic surgery. In adherence to board certification requirements, plastic surgeons must satisfy a comprehensive list of criteria and continue advanced training every year to maintain their board certification.
Dr. Zinsser is proud to provide individualized care to each and every patient. Your post bariatric body contouring surgery will be customized to meet your unique needs.
If you want to eliminate loose skin left over from pregnancy or extreme weight loss, please contact board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. John Zinsser today at 804-474-9805 to see if a body lift is right for you. Zinsser Plastic Surgery serves clients in Richmond, Fredericksburg and Williamsburg, Virginia.